Wednesday 19 May 2010

Please hang me in the Long Room – not the toilet!

When you arrive at the Oval on your first pro contract at 16, and walk through the Long Room, the thought of one day, having your portrait adorning the walls with great players, is the other side of the moon!

Surrey gave me the greatest honour of my life when they said that they would like me to have a portrait painted for The Oval. Very kindly, my son Toby produced and donated the oil painting (it helped that he runs his own art business!)

Never in my career was I ever remotely tempted to move counties and yesterday, at the unveiling, was as good as it gets for a Surrey player/pro/life long fan. Yesterday at the unveiling was a very special moment for me.

Knowing the leg-pulling lot of the players I played with over 24 years, I haven’t heard the last of it!!

Many many thanks Surrey County Cricket Club!

No comments:

Post a Comment